The Clodomiro Picado Institute has been carrying out research on herpetofauna for the past 40 years. Its activities include the following: research on toxins from venomous animals in Latin America, and on snake venoms; and basic and applied research on immunobiologicals, particularly antivenoms for envenomings following snakebites. The Institute is attached to the University of Costa Rica, where it coordinates graduate and postgraduate courses in the fields of biochemistry, immunology, herpetology and research. It also supervises student theses in these research areas.
The Clodomiro Picado Institute produces antivenoms for many Central and South American and European countries. It has developed innovative scientific and biotechnical processes to promote the enhancement of biologicals, both nationally and internationally; it advises countries on the prevention and treatment of snakebites, and also the production and quality control of antivenoms in Central and South America; and it manages collaboration projects for the production of antivenoms specific to countries with scarce resources such as Nigeria, Papua New Guinea and Sri Lanka. In collaboration with the Latin American science and technology development programme (CYTED), the Clodomiro Picado Institute coordinates a network of production and quality-control centres in Central and South America.
The Institute was involved in the drafting of the WHO Guidelines for the Production, Control and Regulation of Snake Antivenom Immunoglobulins.
Dr LEE Jong-wook Memorial Prize for Public Health – Report of the Dr LEE Jong-wook Memorial Prize Selection Panel
The Dr LEE Jong-wook Memorial Prize for Public Health is awarded to a person or persons, an institution or institutions, a governmental or nongovernmental organization or organizations, who have made an outstanding contribution in the following areas: research into and prevention, treatment and control of HIV/AIDS; research into and control of communicable diseases; or control of neglected tropical diseases.
The Dr LEE Jong-wook Memorial Prize Selection Panel met on 19 January 2011, under the chairmanship of Dr M. Kökény, (Hungary), Chairman of the Executive Board. The other Panel members were Ms P.T. Toelupe (alternate to Mrs G.A. Gidlow, member of the Executive Board for Samoa), and Professor Sohn Myongsei, Representative of the Founder.
The Panel reviewed the documentation, together with the Administrator’s technical comments on the candidatures, and unanimously decided to propose to the Executive Board that the 2011 Prize should be awarded to the Clodomiro Picado Institute, Costa Rica.
- 1980: Premio Nacional de Ciencias ( José Maria Gutiérrez Gutiérrez)
- 1986: Premio Nacional de Ciencias ( Bruno Lomonte Viglioti)
- 1990: Premio Twas- CONICIT ( José Maria Gutiérrez)
- 1995: Se nombra al Instituto Autoridad científica CITES
- 1996: Premio a la Calidad de Vida
- 1996: Centro de referencia en materia de ofidismo para Centroamerica
- 1997: Premio Twas –CONICIT ( Bruno Lomonte Viglioti)
- 1997: Premio Sven Brohult, otorgado por la Internacional Foundation for Science ( José María Gutiérrez)
- 1998: Premio Ancora en el ärea de Ciencias ( José María Gutiérrez)
- 2002: Premio Aporte en el área de Ciencias
- 2003: Premio Aporte a la Creatividad y Excelencia
- 2003: Premio Nacional de Ciencias ( Marieta Flores Díaz)
- 2006: Premio Aporte a la creatividad y Excelencia
- 2007: Premio al Investigador de la Universidad de Costa Rica ( José María Gutiérrez)
- 2007: Reconocimiento a la Investigación Clínica por el Instituto Científico Pfizer
- 2009: Premio Twas- CONICIT ( Mahmood Sasa Marín)
- 2009: Premio Nacional de Tecnología ( Guillermo León Montero)
- 2010: Premio al investigador de la UCR ( Bruno Lomonte Viglioti)
- 2010: Premio a Ideas innovadoras